CSUN  Wordmark
Page Description

The following page is a three column layout with a header that contains a quicklinks jump menu and the search CSUN function. Page sections are identified with headers. The footer contains update, contact and emergency information.

Human Resources Communications Newsletter

May, 2008

Questions or comments, contact marianne.hudz@csun.edu

Note: to print all or part of this document, either copy and paste the text into a Microsoft Word document, or open this page using Mozilla Firefox. 

Table of Contents



Staff Service Awards and Recognition Event

The Staff Service and Excellence Recognition Program will be held on June 26, 2008 in the San Fernando Valley Hall, USU. Annually, CSUN recognizes non-faculty employees with 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, and 40 years of dedicated service to the university. Employees are presented with a service award by the President and appropriate Vice President in recognition of their long-term employment. This year, Gregory Truex of the Dean’s Office, College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, and Linda Newcomb of Admissions and Records will be honored for 40 years of service.

This will be our 4th annual event in which we also recognize the outstanding contributions of our staff.  Winners of the Merit, Team and Presidential Awards for excellence will be announced. To learn more about how you can nominate a co-worker for one of these outstanding awards for next year, go to: http://www-admn.csun.edu/ohrs/compemp/awards/index.htm.



Health Care Reimbursement Account (HCRA) and Dependent Care Reimbursement Account (DCRA) Claims for 2007

Do you still have claims to file for 2007? Don't miss out. You may file claims for expenses incurred during 2007 until June 30, 2008. Any remaining balance in your account will be forfeited after that date.

For complete information, go to: http://www.asiflex.com/claim-filing-procedures.htm.

Spring 2009 Fee Waiver Application Filing Deadline is September 24

If you intend to use the Fee Waiver benefit for the Spring 2009 semester, your application must be filed with Human Resources by the deadline.  You may start submitting applications for the spring as early as June 2nd.  Applications received after the deadline of September 24th cannot be processed for Spring 2009. 

The enrollment application will be available after June 1st at:  http://www-admn.csun.edu/ohrs/development/feewaiver_enrollment.htm

Employees hired since April 9th may still submit applications for the Fall 2008 semester.  Call Sue Talavera at extension 2173 for instructions.

Long-Term Care Program Taking Applications

CalPERS is now accepting applications for its Long-Term Care Program. Long-term care coverage can provide valuable benefits in the event of a serious accident, chronic illness or disability. The Program offers various plans for care in nursing homes and assisted living facilities, as well as in the home and community. The application period started April 1, 2008 and will end June 30, 2008.

For more information go to http://www.calpers.ca.gov/index.jsp?bc=/member/ltc/home.xml&pst=ACT&pca=ST


CalPERS Retirement Planning Fairs April 26th - November 1st

Whether retirement is a long way off or just around the corner, you’re likely to have a lot of questions. Start taking an active role in planning for your retirement by attending a free CalPERS Retirement Planning Fair at one of 20 different locations throughout the State. For more information, go to http://www.calpers.ca.gov/index.jsp?bc=/member/retire-plan-fair/home.xml.



Summer Eligibility

Human Resources has received a number of inquiries regarding the number of hours a student may work during the summer sessions. The following are guidelines to assist you in hiring students during summer sessions:

  1. Summer session appointments may be made if the student has been admitted for the current spring semester and the upcoming fall semester and is planning on attending.
  2. Students who have graduated and who are not admitted/enrolled for the fall semester are not eligible for Student Assistant appointments.
  3. If a student is enrolled in at least 6 or more units during the Summer session, the student may be appointed as a Student Assistant. He/she may work up to, but normally not in excess of, 20 hours per week total in all positions. The Internal Revenue Service’s guidelines for student assistants limit their normal working hours to 20 per week during academic semesters.
  4. If the student is not enrolled or is enrolled in less than 6 units for a summer session, they may work up to a maximum of 40 hours per week, but may not be scheduled to work overtime. Overtime is defined as more than 40 hours per week. A schedule may exceed 8 hours a day provided the total for the week does not exceed 40 hours. Overtime should not be authorized, because the State Controller's Office will not issue payments to Student Assistants in excess of 168 hours for a 21-day pay period, nor in excess of 176 hours for a 22-day pay period.  


Student Assistant Salary Schedule

The Student Assistant Salary Schedule has been updated to include salary range minimums and example job titles for the four (4) Student Assistant levels.  These changes are designed to facilitate correct identification of the appropriate Student Assistant level and setting appropriate hourly rate of pay. This will result in consistent hourly rates for Student Assistants across campus.  For more detailed information regarding Student Assistants and Work-Study, please go to either of the following HR or Work-Study websites:




CSU Policy on the Employment of Minors

During the summer months, HR often receives questions regarding hiring summer employees under the age of 18.  Consistent with state and federal law, the California State University's Employment of Minors policy addresses provisions related to the employment of minors (under age 18).

Work Permits

Minors must obtain certificates of age or permits to work for the California State University (CSU). Departments employing minors are required to keep work permits on file while the minor is employed. Minors may obtain work permits through their school district or superintendent's office. The permit should be completed and on file prior to the minor's appointment date.

16 and 17 Year-Old Minors

California State law states that any 16- or 17-year old:

If the minor is 17 and has graduated from High School then this policy does not apply to their employment. 


New Functionality to HR Answers A-Z

HR Answers A-Z, http://www-admn.csun.edu/ohrs/resources/index.htm, now has a Google search function.  When you enter a word, all HR Answers containing that word will pop up.

Changes to the On-Boarding Process

In order to allow new staff and faculty members more immediate access to network applications including email, SOLAR, and the myNorthridge portal, the university has streamlined the on-boarding process as follows: 

Upcoming Absence Management Code Change for CSUEU Bargaining Unit Employees

The CSUEU bargaining unit contract includes a change of contract language from "Maternity/Paternity/Adoption Leave" to "Parental Leave".  As a result, Timekeepers for CSUEU employees should select “Parental Leave Take” instead of “Maternity Paternity Take.”

To read the full article and specific language, please refer to the bargaining agreement, http://www.calstate.edu/LaborRel/Contracts_HTML/current_cba.shtml.

Any questions with regard to the entry of this type of leave in SOLAR HR can be directed to the SOLAR HR Team at solarhr@csun.edu, or call x1000, press 2, press 3.

Exit Interviews

When employees leave the university, we have an opportunity to listen through the exit interview process.  The information provided in exit interviews will be used to help us improve as a university.  

The Exit Interview Form and instructions are online: http://www-admn.csun.edu/ohrs/atozforms.htm

Vision Care: CSU Retirees

Historically, CSU has not offered a separate vision care plan for retirees and their dependents, and CSU retirees have not been eligible to participate in the State’s existing vision program. Under new legislation, benefit-eligible CSU retirees and their dependents may participate in the CSU Vision Care Program administered by the Chancellor’s Office. This new vision program is currently under development and will be modeled after the CSU active employee vision program. Retirees will pay premiums, and VSP will be the carrier for the new program.